"Identity through Mythology": growlinghand's deviantART

TWATTWEETS @standswithagist

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Fat Fact of Forty


Youth has nothing on wisdom?

Here I am, having survived the turning of the arbitrary clock into what was my 40th year. Becoming 40 was traumatic but being 40 is freedom, if freedom is an excuse. Why did I have to wait so long to let myself be me? 40 was permission, 40 was validation, 40 was a soft comfy chair at the end of a long day. So here I sit in my 40 and there are wrinkles around my eyes and mouth when I smile at the satisfaction of coming to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"It will be someone blue-collar and unlicensed, though, inevitably - a nurse's aide with quick-bit nails, a hospital security guy, a tired Cuban orderly who addresses me as jou - who will, looking down in the middle of some kind of bustled task, catch what he sees as my eye and ask So yo then man what's your story?"

~David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest